Our Services A - Z :
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
 
 

Search Results

If you do not find what you were looking for in the search results below, please try using our advanced search or the A-Z of services.

 

   

Service: Castles   



1-10 of 18 documents
next >>

45% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Yelden Castle
Yelden Castle The castle from the south February 2014. Yielden Castle is one of the most complete examples in the county. This ditch varies between 15 and 25 metres wide and averages 1.5 metres deep. This is accompanied on the north-eastern side by a large ditch, 10 metres across.
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
41% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Bedford Castle
Bedford Castle Artist's reconstruction of Bedford Castle with Castle Quay superimposed May 2009. Three assaults failed but a fourth breached the barbican (defended gateway), allowing the whole outer bailey to be captured.
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
41% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Odell Castle
Odell Castle Odell Castle and Church seen from Felmersham Road September 2008. he discovered the outbreak, but by this time the flames had got a strong hold on the aged woodwork, and fanned by a light breeze quickly enveloped the west wing of the Castle, and spread rapidly throughout the adjoining rooms".
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
41% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Bletsoe Castle
Bletsoe Castle Bletsoe Castle in 1811 [Z49/190]. The garden adjoining the manor to the west, the mill yard to the south the dairy yard to the north and orchard to the east containing three roods, twenty poles. a chaff house;
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
37% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Stevington Castle and Manor House
Stevington Castle and Manor House The Historic Environment Record for Bedfordshire notes that in 1281 Baldwin Wake was given a licence "to crenellate a chamber in his marsh of Stiventon" (he died the following year) but no trace of a castle has been found.
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
37% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Eaton Bray Castle
Eaton Bray Castle The castle earthworks drawn by Frederick Gurney in 1911 [X325/146/1]. The schedule notes that the moat around the site is "an exceptionally well preserved example of a large, double island type".
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
37% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Chalgrave Castle
Chalgrave Castle A castle once stood at Chalgrave, just south-east of the church. The motte seems to have covered an 11th century manor house, the seat of Albert of Lorraine who was noted as owning the manor in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
35% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Toddington Castle
Toddington Castle Children listening for the witch on Conger Hill [Z50/142/256]. The outer bank and ditch of the bailey survives to the east, with vestiges to the south and west. The name Conger Hill is thought to derive from the middle English word conynger , meaning "rabbit warren".
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
35% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Cainhoe Castle
Cainhoe Castle The area around Cainhoe Castle in 1883 - to see a larger version, please click on the image. The motte mound utilises a natural sand outcrop, and rises approx 15 metres above the floodplain, it is approximately 60 metres in diameter at the base, with a flat area 10 metres in diameter at the top.
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 
30% Hosted By Bedford Borough Council: Gannocks Castle Tempsford
Gannocks Castle Tempsford The entrance to the island February 2016. The English Heritage entry states: "The site is believed to be built on the same spot as an earlier Danish fortress referred to in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as being constructed in 921 AD and captured later that year by [King] Edward the Elder [899-924]".
Bedfordshire County Council (Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and

 

Results Page:  1 2   next >>

Powered by Semaphore